The Law of Attraction: 10 Ways to Raise Your Vibration During Challenging Times
by Cassendre Xavier
The Law of Attraction is the universal spiritual belief that, as I like to say, “that which is like itself is drawn,” or is more often said, “like attracts like.” Some people say, “thoughts become things.” I've heard actor Will Smith say “Thoughts are things.” In the book Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires by Esther Hicks and Jerry Hicks, the teachers of the non-physical collective entity Abraham, and the originators of the new thought term “law of attraction”, the glossary section lists Law of Attraction as “The basis of your world, your Universe and All-That-Is. Things of like vibration are drawn to each other.”
Like gravity, the Law of Attraction isn’t something we “do”, it simply is. We can learn to use it to our advantage by noticing when we are thinking or feeling ways that we do not really want to attract more of, and increase our thinking and feeling in the direction of what we desire.
One of the more difficult things to do is raise our vibration during challenging times. As you have probably noticed, it’s very easy to feel good when things are going well, and easy to feel not-so-good when things aren’t going well at all. It’s difficult to try to feel good when things aren’t going well at all.
The key is to try to feel better. If you are feeling wonderful or great, that’s wonderful and great! If you are feeling less than those things, you may find it’s much easier to try to feel better than to make the quantum leap jump all the way to wonderful or great.
In Ask and It Is Given we are given 22 processes for improving our vibration. These processes are as detailed and unique to the authors, as I’ve noticed those of other authors to be. Many Law of Attraction authors, teachers, and coaches have their own detailed and unique processes for raising your vibration.
And, you and I can make some up ourselves. There are as many ways to raise our vibration as we choose to discover, create, and experiment with. Here are a few of mine:
10 Ways to Raise Your Vibration During Challenging Times
1) Stick with the facts ¨C During challenging times it can be easy to forget some of the basic ideas of Law of Attraction and living your most joyous life. As you approach the task of raising your vibration, remember the facts you learned from your spiritual studies. These facts include: Your only power is in the now. Anything you are feeling badly about is from your past (even if it was half a milli-second ago). You are choosing every feeling and thought. You can choose a better feeling thought. These are facts that you know. Remind yourself of them often. Read them from books or listen to them from audios if you need the extra reminders. When we remember to focus on the facts, our unpleasant feelings frequently soften and dissolve or disappear altogether.
2) Get with some right company: Spending time with like-minded positive Law of Attraction ¨C mastering individuals and groups can be a wonderful way to not only raise your vibration during challenging times, but keep your vibration very high in the first place. And when your vibration is very high you have a reserve of energy to go to when the challenges come. Birds of a feather indeed flock together, and not only will talking to and spending time with other LOA folks help you climb out of the pit and up the ladder of and to better feelings, you will also positively affect and energize others with your energy, knowledge, and experience of mastering the Law of Attraction. (See my video Law of Attraction: The Importance of Right Company, in the resources section near the end of this article.)
3) Distract yourself. We know that we can’t cancel a negative thought or feeling. We can only create a new, better feeling one and put that next to or right after it. We also know that positive or better feeling thoughts and feelings are hundreds of times more powerful than negative ones. So we can relax and know we’ll be alright, and trust our minds to think and our emotions to feel as they do! A great way to stop a negative or unpleasant thought or feeling is to distract yourself. You can read an inspirational book, watch a humor flick, call a friend who is always fun to talk to. Look around you and find something you like to focus on and grow. That will raise your vibration. Almost anything is better than remaining in a funk, and those are all effective techniques for distracting yourself to a higher vibration.
4) Take a nap. You can always just go to sleep for a few minutes. Be sure to put aside a fun book or reminder to engage in a pleasant activity upon waking, so that you awake going right to something that feels good to you to do.
5) Meditate. The relaxation, significant reduction of extraneous thoughts, and focus on one neutral thing (like holding a crystal, or noticing your breath, or looking at the flame of a candle or a black marker dot on a a piece of white paper on a wall), all are wonderful ways to first neutralize your emotional set-point, and then more easily raise it from there. Meditation clears the canvas. It allows you to start anew and pour in fresh ideas, inspiring thoughts and good feelings that will attract more of the same ¨C more of what you desire.
6) Get sensual. Trade a massage with a trusted friend, massage therapist colleague, or lover. Pleasure yourself. Make love. Get trantric. Raise your kundalini. Sensual and sexual energy are wonderful ways to raise your spiritual vibration and emotional set-point. Just be sure to remove all guilt and shame from whichever activity you choose to increase the physical sensation and positive sensuality in your life. You deserve the time, the undivided attention, and pleasure is good for the soul!
7) Move your body. Exercise, or sports, as I prefer to call it, is an almost immediate mood lifter! The key is to find something that's fun for you, and ideally social, like playing tennis or bicycling, both of which can be easily done with friends. If you have one or two buddies to enjoy sports with, it's a great way to get yourself out of the house and move your body to a higher, more Law of Attraction-maximizing place! And, speaking of getting out the house...
8) Get out in nature. Nature is an almost instant cure for whatever's bringing down, draining, or challenging your vibe. And you don't need a rustic or even suburban environment to enjoy nature. Find a park, or even bring nature into your living space, like plants and inexpensive, compact fountains. Getting out in nature, putting your bare feet on the cool grass or grounding soil, will do wonders for raising your vibration during challening times. So, remember, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Bring nature into your life however you can, and enjoy the creativity of the process!
9) Remember a positive memory. Recall wonderful times in your past, and savor each detail. Stretch out happy memories, really enjoy and get into them. Sometimes when we are very challenged, happy memories are the easiest to hold on to and assist us in raising our vibration.
10) Practice gratitude. Although Law of Attraction studies say appreciation is better than gratitude, the 22 processes in Ask and It Is Given also show ways to uplift your vibration that you wouldn't think would work. For instance, in some cases, anger is actually good because anger is an emotional step up from hopelessness and despair. In this way, gratitude, while not as high a vibration as appreciation, is perfect for when you're that low that gratitude is a big up! Simply take a look around you and at your life and find things to be grateful for. This will begin to feel better and better and soon you'll be ready to appreciate!
May these tips help you raise your vibration when you’re very challenged. Remember, this too, shall pass, and even the wonderful times pass and open up to challenge, which open up to new experiences, filled with high vibration good feelings and the occasional contrast.
Remember you asked for this marvelous experience of your life exactly as it is. Enjoy it. Enjoy all of it, even the contrast, and very best wishes to you!
Cassendre Xavier is a Leeway Transformation Award-winning Philadelphia-based multi-media healing artist. She is author of Expanding Your Capacity for Joy: A Raw Vegan Comfort Book, Sourcebook & Journal (2009/ARtivist Publications), and the creator of the Affirmations for Survivors guided meditation series (featuring Music of Light by Thaddeus), with “Self-Love,” and “Spirituality” (2007/Amethyste Affirmations), “Sexuality” and “Life Skills” in progress. Cassendre is also the founder and former facilitator of several community initiatives including Sisters Healing Together (a peer support group for women survivors of incest with a special focus on compulsive overeating), and AIM: Artists In Motion (a peer support and accountability group for artists). Cassendre has written for Wisdom Magazine's online edition since May 2009. For more information, please visit http://cassEndrExavier.com.